The key features of PHP 5.4.x include:
- New language syntax including Traits,
shortened array syntax and
- Improved performance and reduced memory
- Support for multibyte languages now available
in all builds of PHP at the flip of a runtime
Built-in webserver in CLI mode to simplify
development workflows and testing
- Cleaner code base thanks to the removal of
multiple deprecated language features
- Many more improvements and fixes
Changes that affect compatibility:
Extensions moved to PECL:
PHP 5.4 series will be the last versions to
support Windows XP and Windows 2003. We will not
provide binary packages for these Windows versions
anymore after PHP 5.4.
For users upgrading from PHP 5.3 there is a
migration guide available here, detailing the
changes between those releases and PHP 5.4.x.
For a full list of changes in PHP 5.4.x, see the ChangeLog.